What are the tips to achieve Healthy teeth?
The secrets of having healthy, bright teeth are:
- Brush your teeth twice daily. This will reduce occurrence of tooth decay.
- Floss your teeth. Flossing clears debris from tooth surfaces that are adjacent to each other and which cannot be cleaned by tooth brush.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly after consuming any food. This will rinse off food that gets stuck between teeth and also reduces staining of teeth from food colorants.
- Use interdental toothbrush to remove plaque and food debris accumulated in between teeth.
- A mouthwash might keep your mouth fresh for limited period.
- Restricting food intake to meal time.
- Reducing intake of soft and sticky food. Soft and sticky foods tend to stay for longer periods over teeth and initiate tooth decay.
- Massage your gums regularly.
- Consume healthy food rich in proteins, vitamins, calcium
- Use of fluoridated toothpaste helps control tooth decay
- Use of an orthodontic toothbrush in teenagers having the fixed braces.
- Visiting dentist once in 4-6 months for regular examination.
- Avoid smoking. Smoking stains your teeth.
- Avoid consumption of acidic beverages that can dissolve enamel surfaces of teeth.
- Avoid consuming very hard food which can lead to chipping of teeth.
- In case of habits like grinding or clenching your teeth at night which is called as bruxism use night guards which prevent transmission of forces to teeth surfaces. This prevents chipping or abnormal wearing out of teeth and ensures long life to teeth and jaw joints.