Lots of people today use electric toothbrushes to keep their pearly whites nice and bright.
But are they really better?
What are the indications for using an electric toothbrush?
What are its advantages over a manual toothbrush? What about the cost?
These are the most common queries people have regarding electric toothbrushes. Here are a few of the answers to these queries.
What is an Electric Toothbrush?
An electric toothbrush is a toothbrush that makes rapid automatic bristle motions either back and forth or rotation in order to clean teeth.
A modern electric toothbrush is usually powered by a rechargeable battery. Most manufacturers of dental care products generally also make electric toothbrushes.
Types of Electric Toothbrush
- Based on the action they employ either vibration or rotation-oscillation.
- Based on the speed of their movement they are further classified under Standard, Sonic and Ultra Sonic toothbrushes.
Indications for the use of Electric Toothbrush
- Patients with fixed orthodontic appliances or braces. Those for whom there is evidence that electric toothbrush give more effective brushing than manual toothbrush in plaque removal.
- In children who generally do not brush with the right strokes and for the right duration.
- Handicapped and severely retarded children.
- Institutionalized patients who are dependent on others.
- Patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Hard brushers in whom periodontitis is a common finding.
If you are facing any difficulties while using the electric brush, it’s recommended to consult the dentists or dental clinic for better result.
Advantages and Disadvantages of an Electric Toothbrush
- Easy to use: All that one needs to do is to place the toothbrush at a 45 degree angle and let the toothbrush do the entire job. Less work for better results: Electric toothbrushes do a better job of cleaning and removing plaque. The electric toothbrush takes care of the time and method of brushing with a proper regulated force which prevents gingivitis.
- More fun to use for children: Electric toothbrushes are a lot easier and fun. Children prefer this as it is less work, it tickles their teeth and the timer will let them know they are all done.
- Built in timer: Electric toothbrushes use a built in timer that stops when 2 minutes are up and hence no more guessing!!!
- The toothbrush needs to be charged or the batteries to be replaced.
- Cost: They are significantly more expensive than the manual ones.
- Easy to break: Dropping the toothbrush can break them easily. Careful is the word while using this. Not easy to carry while travelling: Needs to be carried with a charger and is a little bulky.
Mode of action of an Electric Toothbrush
The main component is the removable brush. This is the part that does all the hard work. It has a semi rotating head at the top so the mechanism inside the brush handle rotates back and forth and the brush turns from side to side.
The best Electric Toothbrush to buy
Search for best oral care products at India Dental World. Choose the best as per your needs from the widest variety.