What is the impact of teeth loss on the psychology & social life of an individual?
What are the various treatment modalities to replace missing teeth?
- Removable Partial Denture
- Fixed Partial Denture
What is a bridge?
Bridge or fixed partial denture is the most popular system to replace missing teeth.
A bridge is meant to replace missing teeth by bridging the gap b/w two remaining teeth. crowns fixed onto the adjacent teeth are fused to artificial tooth/teeth that are going to replace missing teeth.
What are the advantages of a bridge?
How is a bridge fabricated?
What are the materials used in the making of a bridge?
What are the consequences of teeth loss?
- Disturbances in surrounding teeth.
- Psychological & social disturbances.
- Changes in facial appearance.
- Nutritional disturbances.
What are the effects of missing teeth on rest of the teeth?
- The unprotected jaw ridge can get subjected to injury due to chewing forces.
- The neighboring teeth tilt into the empty space. This destroys proper functional balance.
- The drifted teeth create areas of food impaction. This can lead to consequences like: decay in the drifted & adjacent teeth.
- Gum diseases can begin in these faulty contact areas.
- Because of abnormal teeth drifting process, the supporting bone gets affected & shrinks. This makes teeth replacement in future difficult.
- The remaining teeth are loaded with excessive chewing forces and are acting in direction that can be detrimental to the stability of rest of the teeth.
- The teeth opposite to the space of missing teeth might supra erupt. That is, they might move towards the opposing empty space. In the long run this loosens the opposing teeth.
What are the changes in facial appearance due to teeth loss?
- Wrinkles appear on the face making the individual look far older than his age.
- Loss of muscle tone & skin elasticity due to teeth loss also affects youthful appearance .
- Due to multiple teeth loss the supporting bone gets shrunken which in turn reduce support to the cheek &The lower third of the face looks shrunken.
- Facial structure collapses making the individual look older.