What are the tooth decay preventive measures?
- Maintenance of proper oral hygiene: By following the proper technique of brushing & flossing, incidence of tooth decay can be reduced.
- Reducing the frequency of food or sugar intake.
- Minimizing snacking.
- Reducing frequent intake of sugary drinks.
- Avoiding kids going to bed with feeding bottles in their mouth. Chewing gums with Xylitol after food increases the saliva flow thereby flushing out food debris over and between the teeth.
- Using fluoride toothpastes & mouthwash.
- Dental sealants over newly erupted teeth would be of great help to reduce incidence of tooth cavities. A sealant is nothing but a coating applied on the tooth to protect it from decay. Applying sealants is a painless procedure.
- Topical fluoride applications over the teeth for children also bring down the rate of dental caries.